By Ben Gove
Read or Download Cruising Culture: Promiscuity and Desire in Contemporary American Gay Culture PDF
Similar gay & lesbian books
First number of essays by means of queer students with working-class backgrounds.
This can be a significant new evaluation of the impression of girls individuals of the united states Congress on public coverage and Congress itself. Drawing on 3 key case studies--reproductive overall healthiness, women's well-being, and well-being policy--from the 103rd and 104th Congresses, Dodson highlights the complicated forces that form what girls individuals do and their impression at the establishment.
A cop struggles to avoid wasting himself earlier than his lover kills his kidnapper. This a re-issued name. This tale used to be initially a part of the Hostage print anthology.
Cinema is probably not in a position to aid heal a damaged country however it can certainly aid revisit a nation’s previous, reframe its current and re-imagine its destiny. this can be the 1st book-length learn on what has develop into an the world over acclaimed strand in modern Greek cinema. Psaras examines how this actual development could be regarded as an fundamental aesthetic reaction to the notorious Greek trouble, illuminating its primary ideological points by way of a queer critique of nationwide politics.
- Russian Masculinities iIn History and Culture
- The Fairy Fellers Master-Stroke
- Dragon Ours
- Free Comrades: Anarchism and Homosexuality in the United States 1895-1917
Additional info for Cruising Culture: Promiscuity and Desire in Contemporary American Gay Culture
34. My use of ‘feminine’, ‘masculine’, ‘butch’ and ‘femme’ here does not only refer to how men identified themselves, but also to how they were categorised by those around them, often in antagonism with their selfperception. Bérubé, ‘Marching’, p. 393. Sadownick, Sex Betweeen Men, p. 61. Chauncey, Gay New York, p. 9. D’Emilio and Freedman, Intimate Matters, p. 291. Interestingly, Howl polymorphously blurs together images of straight, gay and implicitly bisexual male ‘public’ promiscuity, thereby disturbing the normative distinction between gay male sexual ‘depravity’ and young straight men’s celebrated sexual exploits: Ginsberg celebrates ‘angelheaded hipsters .
30. Wilton, Finger-Licking Good, p. 24. 31. D’Emilio and Freedman, Intimate Matters, p. 167. 32. , p. xvi. 33. Sondheim and Wheeler, A Little Night Music, p. 96. 34. While based on Ingmar Bergman’s Smiles of a Summer Night (1956), the narrative also echoes the rampant upper-class promiscuity implied in A Midsummer Night’s Dream. 35. Douglas, Where the Girls Are, pp. 65–6. 36. Sondheim and Wheeler, A Little Night Music, p. 95. 37. Segal, Slow Motion, p. 176. 38. Julien and Mercer, ‘True confessions’, p.
52. 53. 54. 55. 56. 57. 58. 59. 60. 61. 62. 63. 64. 65. 66. 67. 68. 69. 70. , pp. 79–80. Crimp, ‘How to have promiscuity’, p. 253. Quoted in Parkes, ‘Silences and secrets’, p. 56. Holleran, Ground Zero, p. 114. Berlant and Warner, ‘Sex in public’, p. 560. Freud, ‘General theory of the neuroses’, pp. 419–20. Of course, Freud is well aware of the constant overlap between these two realms throughout much of his writing. ‘Typical phantasy structures (intra-uterine existence, primal scene, castration, seduction) which psycho-analysis reveals to be responsible for the organisation of phantasy life, regardless of the personal experiences of different subjects,’ and which ‘have one trait in common: they are all related to the origins.
Cruising Culture: Promiscuity and Desire in Contemporary American Gay Culture by Ben Gove